U-129 under Hans-Ludwig Witt June 1942 Bahamas patrol

            U-129 under Hans-Ludwig Witt transited the region on much the same track as U-67 and U-157 before it. In fact it entered the area on the very same day as Müller-Stöckheim in U-67 and proceeded on the same course: off Turks & Caicos on the 14th of June to enter the Old Bahama Channel on the 15th, up the coast of Cuba until the 19th, at which point it opted to round Cuba heading southwest.
On the 22nd of July (a few days after U-67) Witt took the boat through the Saint Nicholas Channel south of the Cay Sal Bank, back down the Old Bahama Channel and out past Inagua, passing just west of Mayaguana in the Crooked Island Channel on the 26th of July 1942. With a short dog-leg on the 28th to the southeast, he left the region heading eastbound on the 31st after a total patrol in the Bahamas area of a significant 27 days.
            Overall Witt’s U-129 patrol lasted over three months (94 days) during which he achieved a tonnage cache of 41,570 by sinking eleven ships, four of them in the Greater Bahamas sphere. They were the Norwegian L. A. Christensen of 4,362 tons, the large British steamer Hardwicke Grange of 9,005 GRT, two days later on the 12th of June, and the Millinocket, a 3,274-ton American freighter.
On his way back from the US Gulf (where he dispatched the Tuxpamand Las Choapas of Mexico, the Cadmus and Gundersen of Norway, the Soviet motor tanker Tuapse, Tachira of the US and Port Antonio of Norway), he sank the Onondagaof 2,309 tons in the Old Bahama Channel. This sinking occurred on the 23rd of July and resulted in the death of not only nineteen of her crew but the ship’s only passenger, Captain Mellin Edwin Respess, who had been sunk only weeks before by U-505 under Axel-Olaf Löwe while master of the Thomas McKean east of the region. On U-129’s return trip across the Atlantic she was refueled by U-463 west of the Azores. She returned to Lorient on the 21st of August 1942.
            A member of the Class of 1929, Hans-Ludwig Witt was Kapitänleutnant at the time of this patrol, obtaining Kovettenkapitän less than a year later. A few months after this patrol he was awarded the Knights Cross, amassing over his career 100,773 GRT of confirmed tonnage sunk in nineteen ships.
Like others before him he served in the school ship Gorch Foch and entered U-boat school in October 1940. Like Ali Cremer, Witt returned to the new electric U-boats towards the end of the war. Overall he experience three patrols of 275 sea days before moving ashore to join the BdU (headquarters) staff under Dönitz. He lived until 1980 and age 70.

SOURCES: Gudmundur Helgason, Rainer Kolbicz, www.uboat.net, 2011m Kenneth Wynn, U-boat Operations of the Second World War, Volume 1 and Volume 2, 1997