Eric Wiberg is an author and historian living in Westport, Connecticut. He grew up in Nassau Bahamas to parents from Sweden and the US. From age 13 he attended New England boarding schools then Boston College before skippering a 68-foot sailing yacht from the Galapagos to New Zealand at age 23. By 25 he was a licensed 100-ton captain and relocated to Singapore where he operated tankers for three years. On return to Newport RI he founded a yacht delivery agency providing work for 75 mariners globally. He personally sailed over 75,000 nautical miles on over 100 vessels in some 60 countries since 1987. After obtaining degrees in maritime law and marine affairs he relocated to the Stamford CT area where for three years he was an executive recruiter to the shipping industry. In 2009 he published four books including a thesis and a sailing memoir. For four years he sold Tradewinds, a Norwegian shipping weekly, in the Americas before moving to McAllister Towing, a 150-year-old tugboat-owning firm in Manhattan, as Marketing Manager in 2013. In 2016 his book U-Boats in the Bahamas was published. U-Boats off Bermuda and U-Boats in New England are under contract to follow, and a number of maritime history books are in development.
Articles & Published Writing
Published Writing, 1983–2009
Published Writing, 1983–2009 is a 25-year compendium of published material, preserved in its original form and collated every 10 years or so into smaller volumes. These articles, poems and drawings were selected for publication in a wide range of mediums, including university presses and glossy commercial magazines. There are selections from the front page of the Nassau Tribune, an article about falling overboard from a yacht in a snow storm in Cruising World, an essay in The Concord Review of History, the Journal of the Bahamas Historical Society, and The Mancunian, the magazine of Harris Manchester College, Oxford, as well as the Stylus of Boston College and The Docket of Roger Williams University’s School of Law. A number of the journalistic pieces were written while an undergraduate at BC.
- Published Work Volume 1: 1983 – 1991, (Boston, April, 1991)
- Published Work Volume 2: 1991 – 2003, (Newport, April, 2003)
- Published Work Volume 3: 2003 – 2009, (Norwalk, December, 2009)
"Umbrae Papilionis", (46pp.), St. George's, Spring, 1988
"Z. (for Zarathustra)", (33pp.), St. George's, Spring, 1989
"Shorts", (61pp.), BC, Spring, 1990
"Published Work Volume 1: 1983-1991", (68pp.), BC, Spring, 1991
"Voyage of M/T EDMO to India", (44 pp.) Singapore, 1995
"Echo Yacht Deliveries' Dosier," (13pp.), Summer 1999
"Published Work, Volume II: 1992-2003", (37pp.), Newport, April 2003
“Travel Writing 1987-2003”, April 2003 (60pp.) Newport, April, 2003
“Published Work, Volume III: 2004-2009,” (25pp.) Norwalk, CT, Dec., 2009
“Round the World in the Wrong Season,”* (450pp.) Norwalk, CT, Jan. 2010
“Tanker Disasters,”* (200pp.) May 2005 and Island Books, Dec. 2009
“Juvenilia, Teen Books & Travel Writing,”* (250pp.) Norwalk CT Dec. 2009
“Published Writing, 1983 – 2009,” (150pp.)* Norwalk CT Jan. 2010
“U-Boats in Bahamas”* (400pp.) Bricktower Press, July 2016
The author has been published in the following:
- (15) Nassau Tribune, Bahamas, March-July 2016: Weekend features on mailboats 1803 to 2016
- Marine Technology, Society of Naval Architects & Marine Engineers, April 2016: Tractor Tugs.
- PenDragon, Magazine of Lyford Cay International School, May 2016; History of Horses in Bahamas.
- Journal of the Bahamas Historical Society, 2016: SS Potlatch survivors’ voyage through Bahamas.
- (4)com, 2015: U-Boats off Bermuda, series of articles on ships, subs, aviators, survivors.
- Oxford Today, Oxford University, UK, Aug. 2015: “War in Paradise,” www.oxfordtoday.ox.ac.uk
- PenDragon, Magazine of Lyford Cay International School, May 2015: a reflection on years there
- PowerShips, Winter 2015: U-Boats in the Bahamas & Bermuda.
- Bahamas Handbook and Businessman’s Manual, 2015: Sir A. J. Adderley & the S/V Emma Tuttle.
- The Abaconian, Marsh Harbour, Abaco, Bahamas, 2012: WWII U-Boats attack 3 ships off Abaco.
- Schooner Bay Mainsheet, Abaco, Bahamas, 2012: U-128’s attack on tanker A. Knudsen, Abaco.
- (3) The Nassau Tribune, Nov. 2013, 1: U-Boats in Bahamas in WWII; a local witness and 2 graves.
- Bahamas Handbook and Businessman’s Manual, Nassau, 2011: U-Boats in the Bahamas in WWII.
- Journal of the Bahamas Historical Society, Nassau, 2010: U-Boats in the Bahamas in WWII.
- Property Owner’s Newsletter, Eleuthera Island Shores, Cocoa Beach FL, c.2007: advice to owners.
- (3) The Docket, Roger Williams Univ. School of Law, Bristol, RI, 2003: loss of yacht Stiarna 3 parts.
- Cruising World, Middletown, RI, Nov. 2002: true account of falling overboard from
- Newport This Week, Newport, RI, c.1998: a review of Riddle of the Sands by Erskine Childers.
- (2) What's On, Bahamas, Nassau, 1995: 2-part series on yacht Stornoway’s trans-Pacific voyage.
- George's School Bulletin, Newport, RI, c.1995: Log of yacht Chebec’s trans-Atlantic voyage.
- The Stylus, Boston College, Chestnut Hill, MA, 1993: log of Chebec’s trans-Atlantic voyage.
- (25) The Heights, Boston College, Chestnut Hill, MA, 1990-1993, dozens of articles as a journalist.
- The Mancunian, Harris-Manchester College, Oxford Univ., 1992: Chebec’s trans-Atlantic voyage.
- The Bridge, Boston College, Chestnut Hill, MA, 1992: editorial on the L.A. riots.
- The Nassau Tribune, August 1992: arrival of Australian tall ship Young Endeavour in Nassau.
- The Nassau Tribune, August 1992: front-page of author and his brother in Hurricane Andrew.
- The Nassau Tribune, c.1990: yacht Tempo’s race from Marion MA to Bermuda and back.
- The Concord Review of History, Concord, MA, 1989: Alexander the Great’s campaign to Indus.
- (5) The Dragon, creative writing, St. George's School, Newport, RI, 1986-89: poems, prose.
- (2) Red & White newspaper, St. George's School, Newport, RI, 1986-1989: a pair of articles.
- (3) Poetry Fest anthologies, Governor’s Academy, Byfield, MA, 1987-1989: selection of poems read.
- (3) Outlook, anthology Eaglebrook School, Old Deerfield, MA, 1983-1986: poems and prose.
USA, s, w
Bahamas, s, w
St. Martin, DWI, s
Turks & Caicos, s
Bermuda, s, w
British Virgin Islands, s
USVI & Puerto Rico
South & Central America
Ecuador, s (Galapagos)
Trinidad & Tobago, s
Tanzania, s, w
Zanzibar, s, w
Sweden, s, w
East Germany, w
West Germany, w
England & Scotland, s, w
Belgium, s, w
Italy & the Vatican, w
Singapore, s, w
Malaysia, s, w
Vietnam, s, w
Indonesia, s, w
Hong Kong, SARC
Cook Islands, s
Kingdom of Tonga, s, w
Tahiti & Moorea, s, w
New Zealand, s, w
Australia, s, w
s = sailed while there
w = waterborne while there
Dates and Destinations Hailed by Eric Wiberg
117 Bermuda-Newport, Bristol 48’ USHUAIA, Wiberg Crew, July
116 Day racing, Riverside YC, Connecticut, S/Y J-40, Crew, Spring 2006
115 Shelter Isl. NY-Block Isl.-Wickford RI, 35' Oceanis SEAQUESTERED, Oct.
114 Newport RI-Larchmont NY, 65' Little Harbor PANACEA, Kiragu, Gray, Sep.
113 Newport RI-Wilson's Creek CT, Able 32' sloop LOON, Wiberg, Gray, Aug.
112 Portsmouth RI-Portland, Maine, Swan 48' CYGNE, Wiberg co-skipper, Aug.
111 Newport-Portsmouth RI, 70' Hinckley MISCONDUCT, daysails, Wiberg, crew
110 Bermuda – Marion MA, Beneteau 41’ SLIDERULE, Wiberg Capt., June
109 Eliot Maine - Portsmouth RI, 33' Tiara twin-power INTREPID Oct, Wiberg/Gray
108 Padanaram MA-Newport RI, 60' Little Harbor SANS TERRE, Oct. Kiragu/Wiberg
107 Islip Long I. NY-Portsmouth RI, 28' Legacy SOUTHPAW, Sept. Wiberg/Johnson
106 Bristol-Newport-Bristol RI, 42' Swan ANTARES, Jul-Sept, Cutler, Wiberg Mate
105 Newport-Hyannis-Nantucket MA, 53' Swan ESCAPE, Capt. S Woolfson, Wiberg
104 Portsmouth-Bristol RI, 42' Swan ANTARES, June, Capt. Zach Cutler, Mate Wiberg
103 Newport Harbor, Oldport Marine launches ECHO, ROUNDER, boat show
101 Newport, Narragansett Bay, 80' Fife ADVENTURESS, Capt. Casey, Wiberg, crew
100 Marion-Bermuda Race, 42’ Catalina S/Y NORTH STAR II, Wiberg Nav. (3rd Place)
99 St. Martin-Bermuda-Sag Harbor, Bristol 57’ sloop S/Y GALATEA, May-Jun.,
98 Wilmington NC to Beaufort, Hinckley 44’ S/Y MAGIC FLUTE, May, Wiberg
97 Newport Harbor Christmas Lights, 70' motoryacht ONIWA, Dec, Wiberg, Crew
96 Bermuda-Port Jeff. NY Farr 395 S/Y CARPE DIEM, June, Wiberg, Chad
95 Nantucket-Sag Harbor NY, Beneteau 40’ S/Y SABA, Jul., Wiberg & Mike Hall
94 RI-Block I, Cuttyhunk, Vineyard, Tucket, Juneau 52’ S/Y CARPE DIEM II, Wiberg
93 Padanaram-Vineyard-Tucket-Hadley-Menemsha, Juneau 52’ S/Y CARPE DIEM II
92 Newport-Bristol, Halberg Rassey 42’ S/Y ALCYONE, May, Wiberg
91 Newport - Westport MA, 80' maxi catamaran MAIDEN 2, daycrew, Spring
90 Jamestown RI-Rye NY, Swan 44’ S/Y MANGO May, Wiberg, mate
89 Newport-Bristol-Newport RI Navy charters, QUICK STEP, PATRIOT, Oldport
88 S.Freeport ME-Nahant MA, 40’ Alberg S/Y MINUET Sep., Don Miller, Mate
87 Hull MA-Jamestown RI, 40’ sloop S/Y NIGHT WIND, Sep., Miller, Wiberg, mate
86 Newport-Port Jeff, NY, 42’ sloop S/Y K2 Newport-NY, May, Wiberg
85 Portsmouth-Newport RI, 44’ sloop S/Y GITANA IV, Jun., Wiberg
84 Newport-Portsmouth RI, Swan 46’ S/Y BABE, Aug., Wiberg
83 Barrington-Jamestown RI, Farr 395 S/Y SAOIRSE, Jul., Wiberg, skipper
82 Newport-Narragansett, 14’ SKIFF, via trailer and it’s own hull, May (smallest yet)
81 Newport – Block Island Oldport Launch HOPE, for Oldport Marine, Wiberg
80 Newport – Edgartown Martha’s Vineyard, Oldport launch ROUNDER, Wiberg
79 Portsmouth-Newport, Beneteau 42’ SUMMER WIND, for Bareboat Sailing
78 Fairhaven MA-Newport RI, tow, 40’ S/Y SAIL for Oldport, May, Wiberg, mate
77 Newport, Portsmouth, RI, 45' workboat QUICK STEP, Oldport, mooring/towage
76 New England charter, Beneteau 44’ S/Y KARKARA, Aug, Wiberg
75 Marion Bermuda Race, 36' Baltic S/Y SHEHARAZADE, Wiberg, Nav. Jun.
74 Portsmouth-Newport RI, Farr 395 S/Y SAOIRSE, Capt. Matt Gerl, crew
73 Newport Harbor, Narragansett Bay, Oldport Marine launches ECHO, ROUNDER
71 Antigua-Bermuda-Block-Black Rock CT, 42' Mariner SHARAZAD, Wiberg
70 Newport-Bermuda-St. Thomas, USVI 53’ Little Harbor ENVOY, Nov., Wiberg mate
69 Newport-Stamford CT-NY-Rock Hall MD, 48’ Oyster AMAYESING, Sep. Capt.
68 Newport-South Norwalk CT, M/V McKINNA 57, Sep., Wiberg, Phil Holmes
67 Rock Hall -Block I.-Newport-Cuttyhunk-Vineyard-Newport, AMAYESING, Aug.
66 SW Harbor ME-Bristol RI, 50’ Shannon S/Y GAVIA IMMER, Aug., Wiberg
65 Christmas Cove, Maine - Newport, 35’ Hinckley sloop GLORY, Aug., Wiberg mate
64 TRANSAT Bermuda-Azores-Channel I, UK, 46’ Swan MARUTI Jun.-Jul., mate
63 Newport-Bermuda Race, 62’ S&S sloop WAR BABY, Jun., Wiberg, crew
62 Bermuda -Newport, 53’ J-160 sloop CONDOR, May, Wiberg, Joy Baum mate
61 Newport-Tortola, BVI, via Bermuda, Oyster 55’ ADVENTURE, Apr., Wiberg
60 Chaguaramas, Trinidad-Grenada, 12-meter STIARNA (caught fire, sank), Feb.
59 Newport RI, hundreds trips OMS launches HOPE, ECHO, ROUNDER, 1998-2004
56 Southwest Harbor Maine - Jamestown RI , 44' Mason sloop NIMBUS, Aug.
55 Newport, Jamestown RI, hundreds short trips, 24' Ensign VALENTINE, 1999-2000
54 Cross-Newport Harbor, 32’ sail CAROLINA, June, Wiberg
53 Newport-Tortola, BVI, via Bermuda, Beneteau 43’ ELLEE, Nov.-Dec., Wiberg
52 Newport-Lauderdale via Norfolk, Charleston, 52’ Little Harbor CALICO, Oct.,
51 Newport-Lauderdale via Beaufort, Charleston, 54’ Little Harbor WINDRIVEN, Sept.
50 Newport-Port Canaveral via Annapolis, Charleston, Oyster 53’ SUSIE Q 3, Sep.
49 SW Harbor ME-Newport, 42’ Little Harbor picnic, BOLYA, Sept., Wiberg, mate
48 Newport Cross-Harbor, Oyster 55' AD-VENTURE, Sept, Wiberg
47 Newport Harbor, Narragansett Bay, Oldport Marine launch ECHO, night shift
46 Portsmouth RI, photoshoot, 50 sloop QUINTESSENCE, Wiberg, skipper
45 Jamestown-Block I.-Vineyard-Nantucket, 46' Swan BABE, Charter, Aug., Wiberg
44 Lockeport, Nova Scotia-Newport, RI 40’ Swan XENOPHON, Jul., Wiberg, mate
43 Bermuda - Newport & Pilot’s Point, 62’ S & S sloop WAR BABY, Jul., Wiberg, crew
42 Marion - Bermuda Race, record-holder WAR BABY, Jun, Wiberg, crew
41 Antigua - Newport via Bermuda, 52' Hinckley ANORE, May, Wiberg
40 Newport Harbor, Narragansett Bay, Oldport Marine launches ECHO, ROUNDER
38 Newport-Bermuda Race, 42’ Benneteau sloop ENDLESS SUMMER, Jun, watch Capt
37 Stratford CT-Portsmouth RI, Swan 46’ sloop BABE, Wiberg, mate
36 Bahamas, various short voyages, 26' Mako SHOAL SHAKER, family boat 1992-2005
35 Singapore, races, short deliveries SE Asia, Hunter 42’ ARTEMIS, 1995-1998, Wiberg
34 Jurong to Changi, Singapore, 36' CHEOY LEE sloop, Wiberg, Mate
33 Singapore-Sentosa, numerous day trips, 23' POWER boat, Wiberg, Crew/Operator
30 Newport-Bra d’Or, NS, Canada, 62’ Little Harbor MOONRACER, Aug., crew
29 Inagua Bahamas-Norfolk-NY, 40,000DWT M/V ATLANTIC ERIE, salt, supercargo
28 Nassau Bahamas-Andros, return, 5,000 DWT water barge MT TITAS, supernumerary
27 Newport-Block Island, 60' sloop NYCE, Capt. Ashton, Wiberg, Crew, Aug
26 Crooked, Acklins Islands, Bahamas, 26' SLOOP, Wiberg, Island Expedition Crew
25 Turks & Caicos-Nassau via southern Bahamas, 65’ sloop CASADORE, Wiberg, crew
24 Galapagos-New Zealand via Marquesas, Tahiti, Cook I., Tonga, STORNOWAY
24 Panama-Galapagos, 68’ Burma-teak Nicholson ketch STORNOWAY, Dec., Wiberg
23 W. Palm Beach, FL, 117' M/Y JEANETTE, training, THE OTHER WOMAN, Nov.
22 Newport-Lauderdale via Bahamas, 62’ Mason JADEANTE, Sept., Wiberg, crew
21 Camden Maine, Newport RI, Jongert 65' SERENETY OF SEA, daywork, summer
20 Camden, ME-Newport/Portsmouth RI 48' Frers sloop WHISPER, Aug, Wiberg, Mate
19 Camden-Penobscot Bay, Maine, cruises, 28' sloop WHITE WING, Wiberg, Mate
18 Bermuda-Camden, ME - Newport, 48’s Frers sloop WHISPER, Jul., Wiberg WC
17 Marion - Bermuda Race, 48’ aluminum sloop WHISPER, June, Wiberg, WC
16 various New England winter training voyages, S/Y WHISPER, Wiberg, crew
15 Bahamas; dozens of trips, 18' Boston Whaler MA'WESSEL II, family boat 1989-1992
14 Port Everglades FL-Nassau, 150’ Australian tall ship YOUNG ENDEAVOUR, lliason
13 Lymington, England - Ireland - Brittany, France, 60’ WAR BABY, Wiberg, crew
12 TRANSAT Antigua-Bermuda-Belgium, 65’ ketch CHEBEC, 1991, Wiberg, mate
11 Nassau Harbor, Montague Bay, 40' RACER, Peter Christie, Commodore, RNSC
10 Bermuda-Lauderdale via Nassau, 42’ Wauquiez S/Y BON VIVANT, Aug., crew
9 Bermuda-Newport, 50’ Frers sloop RISING STAR, Mike Hall skipper, Wiberg crew
8 Bermuda-Newport, 39’ Cook sloop TEMPO, July, Wiberg boat-boy
7 Marion-Bermuda Race, 39’ custom Cook sloop TEMPO, June
6 Narragansett Bay, numerous day sails, Beneteau 35' BLACK SHEEP, Crew
5 Fernandez-Bennett’s, Cat Island, 62’ Abeking Rasmussen GERONIMO, student
4 Bahamas: various short voyages on 20' M/V MA’ WESSEL, family boat, 1985-1989
3 Lake Sebago, Maine, 21' AQUASPORT waterski boat, Wiberg, operator, camp
2 Boothbay Harbor, Maine and area, 42' sloop LOON-ATIC, Wiberg, young crew
1 Vestervik-Visby-Sandhamn-Stockholm, 32’ S/Y QU’ELLE AMIE, Wiberg, family