S.S. Triglav underway. The water spouting out of the starboard side is salt water used to cool the machinery. The Yugoslav ensign is visible on the transom, as is a lifeboat and two derrick masts. A gangway appears to be laid out on the starboard side between the funnel and bridge, suggesting the ship has just left or is about to call on a port.
Photo Source: Uboat.net, http://www.uboat.net/allies/merchants/ships/1912.html
The Yugoslavian steam ship Triglav was built in 1929 by William Doxford & Sons Limited of Sunderland, northeast England. Yard number 572, the ship was completed in August. She was 6,363 gross registered tons and could carry 10,760 deadweight tons of cargo. Her length overall was 440.2 feet, with a beam of 58.2 feet and a draft of 26.5 feet. A single triple-expansion steam engine developed 573 net horsepower and propelled the steel ship at 10 knots. The engine was manufactured by John Dickinson and Sons, also in Sunderland.
Triglav’s owners were Jugoslavenski Lloyd Ackionarsko Drustvo of Zagreb, Yugoslavia and she was registered to the port of Dubrovnik in that country. The main trades of this line were between Yugoslavia and Argentinian and Uruguayan ports on the southeast coast of South America as well as passenger vessels to Israel, Greece and Egypt in the summer. On October 23rd 1941 the ship sailed from New York Harbour. Aside from that there is little record of her wartime activities between 1939 and July 1942 as she appears to have participated in no convoys.
In officers and crew of the Triglav were of mixed nationality, including British, Canadian and Danish among others. There were a total of 43 persons on board including gunners for the cannons. In June of 1942 the ship sailed from Lourenço Marques, Portuguese East Africa, in what is now Mozambique. She loaded a part cargo of 9,000 tons of manganese ore and zinc concentrates and then sailed to Lobito in Angola (then a Portuguese colony in West Africa). The ship sailed from Lobito on the 19th of June, 1942, bound for New York to discharge.
U-66 was a highly successful U-boat, with thirty-three ships sunk worth an astounding 200,021 GRT plus another two damaged for 22,674 and two warships damaged for sixty-four tons. She would be sunk west of the Cape Verde Island by depth-charges, ramming and gunfire from aircraft flying off the USS Block Island and the US destroyer USS Buckley on 6 May, 1944 – thirty-six of her crew survived.